Early detection and intervention are critical for optimal outcomes for children, but too often children miss this opportunity. Before your little one goes to school, the most critical time for learning happens. Ensuring that our children (birth to age eight) have the best possible start in life, the Help Me Grow (HMG) program strives to connect families to health and developmental resources so they can start school healthy and ready to succeed.
The HMG program at Jewish Community Services is part of a national initiative that is designed to address the need for early identification of developmental and/or behavioral concerns, and link children and their families to community resources. The core components of the Help Me Grow system have been shown to reduce medical costs, build family resilience and protective factors, as well as maximize the efficiency of social service networks by creating a pathway for access to services through a central utilization model.
Core components of Help Me Grow include:
- Making the Connection – receive calls regarding a child’s developmental concerns, assess needs & available resources, and refer families to services.
- Educating Providers – educate professionals about developmental surveillance & screening while promoting access to services.
- Building the Network – develop relationships within the community & maintain an accurate list of local resources.
- Events and Community Engagement- community outreach to promote the use of Help Me Grow & volunteer opportunities with Books, Balls, and Blocks*.
- Identifying Gaps & Barriers – collect and analyze data to identify needs and effectively connect families to resources.
Those wishing to access our services can do so by calling the Miami 2-1-1 Helpline. Help Me Grow partners with 2-1-1 to provide a free, confidential, centralized telephone access point that links every family in Miami to a care coordinator that will answer questions and concerns about their child’s development, connect them with services in their community, and follow-up to ensure a connection is made.
Developmental Milestone Resources:
* For more information on Books, Balls and Blocks, please click here.
Help Me Grow is funded by The Children’s Trust. The Children’s Trust is a dedicated source of revenue established by voter referendum to improve the lives of children and families in Miami-Dade County.
Is your child’s development on track? Try our virtual developmental milestone checklist! Complete a checklist and receive a summary of your child’s milestones that can be downloaded, printed, or emailed. You can also choose to send your results to HMG for a follow-up!