During this unprecedented time, JCS remains open, providing food, counseling, crisis response and information, and referral services. For assistance, please call 2-1-1 or 305-576-6550. As one of the leading human services providers in Miami-Dade County, your JCS is working around the clock to support you during this time of need.
As we adjust to this new reality, JCS adopted the World Health Organization (WHO) and U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. In addition, we have implemented remote work practices where feasible.
Below are details on our Food and Transportation Program, Home Health Care and Behavioral Health Counseling Services:
Food and Transportation Programs
- The JCS Kosher Food Bank (Food Bank) continues to operate. Loss of employment and school closures have led to an increase in food insecurity; therefore, rather than appointments, clients can now pick up boxed groceries at scheduled appointment times.
- All five congregate meal sites have been closed, but will be providing meals to clients via home delivery.
- We are delivering meals, groceries, and/or other supplies to frail clients who are homebound and/ or self isolated. Limited grocery shopper services are available for senior, frail clients that are homebound and/or are self-isolating in order to avert exposure to the virus.
- Home Health Aides provided by the Masada Program continue to care for our clients in the Holocaust Services Program with utmost care and unique precautions. Home Health Aide services are also available for private pay clients requiring services.
We are limiting transportation of our senior clients that receive home health care services to essential medical and therapy appointments with specific limits on all other outings.
Home Health Care
- JCS’ Masada program continues to provide home health care services to hundreds of frail senior clients, including many Holocaust Survivors. Our homecare and housekeeper program workers are specially trained in all health and safety procedures.
- JCS has implemented a three-tiered program of care to closely monitor our high-risk elderly clients.
Behavioral Health Counseling Services
- Behavioral Health Counseling staff in all programs are making phone call “check-ins” with their clients. JCS staff will be implementing a pilot Tele-Mental Health Program in April.
- The 2-1-1 help line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in all languages. The Access Program phone line is available for intake for counseling services, domestic violence and food sufficiency support for clients who observe Kashrut.
- Clinical counseling continues to be offered by phone or in-person at three locations (South Dade, North Dade and Miami Beach), to answer questions and provide behavioral health services for individuals and families.
For 100 years, our values and dedication have served as our foundation. When others in our community retreat, we step forward. This action allows us to fulfill the obligation we made to the thousands of people to help fill their lives with dignity, comfort, compassion, and love. JCS’ planning and operations teams are experienced with adapting to changing conditions and our dedicated staff are focused on keeping our clients safe during this challenging moment.
For over a century, through wars, hurricanes, booms and busts, JCS has been there to help our community transform into an even better and stronger community. And now, as we navigate this crisis, we thank you for your incredible support of our work and mission. Together we will get through this.
Stay strong, healthy and safe.
President & CEO
Jewish Community Services
Chairman of the Board
Jewish Community Services